Community Overview | CENTURY 21

Community Overview < >

 

LITTLE KNOWN FACTS

Did you know that...

...Washington Township has not always been in Gloucester County? We were part of Camden County from March 14, 1844 until February 28, 1871. (That was the day Camden County was formed!)

...in September of 1846 someone came up with the bright idea of putting Franklin, Washington, Gloucester and Winslow townships into a new "Washington County?"

...Monroe Township was a part of Washington Township until March of 1859?

...Benjamin Franklin Goodyear, son of Charles, of the Goodyear Rubber Company used to live in Washington Township? He provided rubber tires for his cousin's "new fangled" autos. His son Ben, Jr. attended Turnersville School, the site of the Bradlees store.

...three front-wheel drive autos and one truck were developed in Grenloch from 1914 to 1920 by the Bateman family, cousins to B.F. Goodyear? (Their mothers were sisters.) The Bateman homestead is still there on Central Avenue in Grenloch Terrace!

...the swampy land in and around Cross Keys is really the South Jersey watershed? All the rivers of South Jersey start there and flow either to the Delaware or on to the Atlantic Ocean. All of our drinking water comes from there!

...Joseph E. Hurff, M.D. was born in Turnersville in 1856 and graduated from Jefferson Medical College in 1881? He was our first local area doctor!

...the Hurff homestead is on Hurff Lane in Turnersville and the Turner homestead was in the village now called Hurffville? (King Marina is now on the Turner home site.)

...Washington Township has 21 Indian sites and burial grounds registered in the State archives in Trenton.

...Before 1850 almost half of Washington Township was owned by one person? It was sold off after he died.

...Fish Pond Road, Bells Lake Road, and Bells Lake Drive were once one very winding road called the "Glassboro-Turnersville Turnpike"?

..."Stone Road" (Route 47) jokingly received a new name of "Delsea Drive"? A Woodbury Times reporter said that it went from the DELaware River to the Atlantic SEA, thus Delsea Drive! It was made official in the State Legislature in 1933.

...Route 42 used to be called

 

The Township of Washington was incorporated on February 17, 1836 as part of Gloucester County during a meeting held at the Green Tree Tavern, at the corner of Egg Harbor Road and GreenTree Road. The Township officially moved to Camden County in March of 1844 but moved back into Gloucester County on February 28, 1871.

 

 

The Township's oldest community is the Grenloch Terrace area which was a thriving Lenni-Lenape Indian Village called Tetamekon. Some twenty other Indian encampments have been identified within this Township's borders. Some of the early settlers to the area were the Collins family of Chestnut Ridge Farm (1771), the Turner family (1798) for whom Turnersville was named, the Hurff family (1806) of Hurffville, the Heritage family (1725) whose family began the Heritage Dairy Farm Stores, the Morgan family who were the first residents of the Olde Stone House (1736) and the Bell Family who arrived in 1899 turning our 139 year old grist mill into GENERAL MILLS, INC. The mill, located at Bells Lake, was destroyed by fire in 1963.

 


Member of:
CENTURY 21 Hearst Realty, Inc.

Turnersville, NJ   -  856.232.8400